Enryaku-ji Temple East Pagoda

Enryaku-ji (延暦寺 Enryaku-ji) is a Tendai monastery located on Mount Hiei in Ōtsu, overlooking Kyoto. It was founded during the early Heian period. The temple complex was established by Saichō (767–822), also known as Dengyō Daishi, who introduced the Tendai sect of Mahayana Buddhism to Japan from China. Enryaku-ji is

Genko-an Temple

Established as a temple of the Rinzai sect of Zen Buddhism in 1346, Genko-an Temple was turned into a temple of the Soto sect in 1694. The Zen temple is commonly called "Fukko Zenrin (restored Zen temple)." It is said that the present main hall was constructed when it was turned

Shokoku-ji Temple

Shokoku-ji (相国寺), formally identified as Mannen-zan Shōkoku Shōten Zenji (萬年山相國承天禅寺), is a Buddhist temple in northern Kyoto, founded in 1382 by Ashikaga Yoshimitsu. In 1383, the Zen master Shun’oku Myōha (春屋妙葩) (1311–1388) was designated by Yoshimitsu as founding abbot, however, Myōha insisted that the official honor be posthumously accorded to his

Daitoku-ji Temple

Daitoku-ji (大徳寺, the ‘temple of Great Virtue’) is a Buddhist temple, one of fourteen autonomous branches of the Rinzai school of Japanese Zen. It is located in Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan. The "mountain name" (sangō) by which it is known is Ryūhōzan (龍宝山). The Daitoku-ji temple complex today covers more than

Toji-in Temple

Toji-in (等持院) is a Buddhist temple of the Rinzai Tenryū sect located in Kita Ward, Kyoto, Japan, and one of two funeral temples (bodaiji) dedicated to Ashikaga Takauji, first shogun of the Ashikaga dynasty. Its main object of worship is Shakyamuni, and its honorary sangō prefix is Mannenzan (萬年山). Toji-in was

Koto-in Temple

Koto-in Temple(高桐院) is a sub-temple of Daitoku-ji, Kyoto, Japan. It was founded by Hosokawa Tadaoki. There is a teahouse, the Shōkō-ken, and the gardens are celebrated for their momiji. A pair of Southern Song monochrome hanging scrolls with landscape have been designated a National Treasure. Many other works are aired annually in October.