Kitano Tenmangu Shrine

Kitano Tenmangū (北野天満宮) is a Shinto shrine in Kamigyō-ku, Kyoto, Japan. The shrine was first built in 947 to appease the angry spirit of bureaucrat, scholar and poet Sugawara no Michizane, who had been exiled as a result of political maneuvers of his enemies in the Fujiwara clan. The shrine became the

Kamigamo Shrine

Kamigamo Shrine (上賀茂神社 Kamigamo Jinja) is an important Shinto sanctuary on the banks of the Kamo River in north Kyoto, first founded in 678.[1] Its formal name is the Kamo-wakeikazuchi Shrine (賀茂別雷神社 Kamo-wakeikazuchi jinja). It is one of the oldest Shinto shrines in Japan and is one of the seventeen Historic

Seimei Shrine

Seimei Shrine (晴明神社 Seimei-jinja) is a Shinto shrine that is located in Kyoto, Japan. It is dedicated to the onmyōji, Abe no Seimei. The Seimei Shrine was founded on the 4th year of the Kankō era (1007) by Emperor Ichijō, who ordered the shrine built in memory of Abe no Seimei, after

Hirano Shrine

The Hirano Shrine (平野神社, Hirano-jinja) is a Shinto shrine in the city of Kyoto. This shrine is known and popular for its gardens and many trees. The shrine was established in the year 794 by Emperor Kammu when the capital was transferred to Heian-kyō from Nagaoka-kyō. From the earliest years, the shrine

Imamiya Shrine

Imamiya Shrine (今宮神社 Imamiya-jinja) is a Shinto shrine located in Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan. It was originally established for patrons to pray for safety from an epidemic, though it has evolved into a shrine where patrons can pray for general good health. The shrine complex is embedded in a forest of

Goo Shrine

Goo Shrine is a Shinto shrine in Kyoto enshrining Wake no Kiyomaro who aided in the construction of Heian-kyô when Emperor Kammu ordered the move of the capital here, as well as Kiyomaro's older sister Hiromushi. The shrine used to be within the grounds of a Protection of the Nation Shrine

Nashinoki Shrine

Nashinoki Shrine is a Shinto shrine immediately adjacent to the Kyoto Imperial Palace, established in 1885 and dedicated in 1915 to the spirits of court nobles Sanjô Sanetsumu and his son Sanetomi, in recognition of their great service to the Imperial institution. The shrine is known for its bush clover