|Name||廬山寺(廬山天台講寺) / Rozan-ji Temple|
|Adress||Kitanobecho397, Kamigyo-ku Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 602-0852|
Adult 500 yen
University 500 yen
High school 500 yen
Junior high school 400 yen
The Enjo sect temple grounds are associated with Murasaki Shikibu (973-c. 1014 or 1025), the author of the Diary of Lady Murasaki and The Tale of Genji. Her father Fujiwara Kanesuke, a court official, built his mansion where the present-day temple is now located. It is thought that Murasaki Shikibu wrote her great works on this very spot and a memorial stone to her stands in front of the temple.
The original Rozan-ji Temple was first built in 938 in the north of Kyoto near Mount Funaoka and was moved to where it stands today in the late 16th century. The present temple buildings date from the 1780s. The temple has maintained a close relationship with the imperial family since it was first established and the Emperor Kyoko, the father of Emperor Kokaku, is buried in the temple grounds as well as a number of princes and princesses.
The temple is known for its colorful, setsubun Devils’ Dance (oni no odori) festival held annually on February 3rd.
Rozan-ji Temple is also worth a visit for its moss and stone garden and fall colors.