|Name||岡崎神社 / Okazaki Shrine|
|Adress||Okazaki Higashitennocho51, Sakyo-ku Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 606-8332|
This shrine is dedicated to Susanoh-no-mikoto and Kushinadahime-no-mikoto and their three daughters and five sons.
This shrine is believed to be one of four shrines built along the four compass points in Heiankyo (the ancient name for the capital Kyoto) to protect the Imperial Court in 794 when Emperor Kanmu transferred the national capital here.
This shrine, located to the east of Heian-kyo, was called Higashi-tenno (Eastern King).
This shrine received a ritual offering for the childbirth of the empress in 1178 and is believed to hold the god and goddess of easy childbirth.
In addition, because this shrine was founded in answer to an invocation by the emperor to protect the Imperial Court and expel evil related to the compass points, it is also believed to house the god and goddess of dispelling evil related to the compass points and other sources.
Since olden times, rabbits have been considered servants of the guardian god.
Because the dedicated god and goddess were blessed with children and rabbits are prolific, this shrine is also believed to house the god and goddess of childbirth.
The shrine precincts contain many sculptures of rabbits.
Especially popular with visitors is the rabbit figure representing childbirth located in the chozu-yakata (handwashing house).