|Name||高台寺 / Koudai-ji Temple|
|Adress||Shimokawaracho526, Higashiyama-ku Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 605-0825|
Adult 600 yen
University 600 yen
High school 250 yen
Junior high school 250 yen
Elementary school 250 yen
more than 30 people more discount
Kōdai-ji (高台寺 Kōdai-ji), formally identified as Jubuzan Kōdai-ji (鷲峰山高台寺 Jubuzan Kōdai-ji), is a temple of the Rinzai school of Zen Buddhism in Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Japan—the largest subtemple of the Kennin-ji branch. It was established in 1606 by Nene (often known by the title Kita no Mandokoro, and who had taken the name Kōdai-in), the widow of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, to pray for her late husband. The principal image is a statue of Shaka.
The temple possesses a number of objects designated as Important Cultural Assets. Among these are the Main Gate and the Spirit Hall, noted for its use of maki-e. The temple is nicknamed the maki-e temple.” It also holds paintings, including one of Hideyoshi, as well as textiles, and a bronze bell with an inscription dating it to 1606.
The gardens of Kōdai-ji are a nationally designated Historic Site and Place of Scenic Beauty.