Gentaro Kodama (1852-1906), who was the Viceroy of Taiwan and steered Japan to victory in the Russo-Japanese War, was established here in 1921, and people have prayed here for victories in battle ever since.
This building was built of Hinoki (cypress), which was a gift from Taiwan.
The Torii gate and Komainu (stone statues of guardian dogs) were made of stones from Taiwan as well. Dr. Chuta Ito, who was the leading architect of shrines and temples, designed it.
There is a stone monument with a poem inscribed by Aritomo Yamagata (soldier, politician) and a stone from Mt. Nirei (a famous battlefield in China) on the grounds.