In 1218, second regent Hojo Yoshitoki built a temple here called Yakushido, after receiving a divine message from the god Inushinsho.
Later, the ninth regent, Hojo Sadatoki converted the temple into a place of ascetic exercise, beseeching Buddha to never allow a repeat of the Mongol Invasion.
The central theme was the concurrent study of the Buddhist precepts of fourdifferent Buddhist sects(Shingon, Tendai, Zen ,Jodo).
The three statues of the Yakushi Trinity and the statues of the twelve Guardian Generals are the most impressive statues in Kamakura.
The silence that is preserved in the depths of the temple grounds is reminiscent of the ancient city of Kamakura.
The black Jizo statue, of the Jizodo Hall is venerated on August 10th, when meny worshippers visit the temple.