|Name||平野神社 / Hirano Shrine|
|Adress||Hirano Miyamotocho1, Kita-ku Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 603-8322|
The Hirano Shrine (平野神社, Hirano-jinja) is a Shinto shrine in the city of Kyoto.
This shrine is known and popular for its gardens and many trees.
The shrine was established in the year 794 by Emperor Kammu when the capital was transferred to Heian-kyō from Nagaoka-kyō. From the earliest years, the shrine has been often visited by members of the Imperial family. In earlier centuries, the shrine also enjoyed a special relationship with both the Genji and the Heike.
The shrine became the object of Imperial patronage during the early Heian period.
In 965, Emperor Murakami ordered that Imperial messengers were sent to report important events to the guardian kami of Japan. These heihaku were initially presented to 16 shrines including the Hirano Shrine.
The shrine has been the site of a cherry blossom festival annually since 985. The long history of festivals at the Shrine began during the reign of Emperor Kazan, and it has become the oldest regularly held festival in Kyoto. Each year, the festival begins in the morning with a ceremony at the mausoleum of former Emperor Kazan. In the afternoon, a procession travels from the shrine into the neighboring area and back.
The present buildings of the shrine were constructed in the 17th century, including
From 1871 through 1946, the Hirano Shrine was officially designated one of the Kanpei-taisha (官幣大社), meaning that it stood in the first rank of government supported shrines.