|Name||御香宮神社 / Gokonomiya Shrine|
|Adress||Gokogumonzencho174, Fushimi-ku Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 612-8039|
A major shrine in Fushimi, Gokô-no-miya was once the chief shrine in the prefecture. It is unknown when it was first established, but there are records that repairs were performed on the main worship hall in 862, so it is clearly at least that old.
The name of the shrine, literally meaning “Shrine of Fragrance,” is traced to a legend claiming that water with a sweet aroma bubbled forth on the site, leading Emperor Seiwa to grant the shrine that name. There are a number of other theories, however.
Toyotomi Hideyoshi later moved the shrine to within the grounds of Fushimi Castle, to guard the rear gate, but Tokugawa Ieyasu returned the shrine to its former location. The shrine then later became the headquarters or home shrine of the Satsuma loyalist armies during the 1868 Battle of Toba-Fushimi, and was spared destruction in that conflict.