|Name||檀林寺 / Danrin-ji Temple|
|Adress||Sagatoriimoto Kozakacho2-10, Ukyo-ku Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 616-8435|
Danrin-ji (檀林寺) was Japan’s first Zen temple, founded in Saga, Kyōto by order of Tachibana no Kachiko during the Jōwa era. The temple was destroyed by fire in 928, but was restored, and during the Muromachi period the temple was designated as one of Kyōto’s five great Buddhist nunneries. The temple eventually fell into disrepair, and in 1339 construction of Tenryū-ji began on its grounds.