The building of the statue of the "goddess of mercy of the white robe" at the Ofuna Kannon-ji was organized "in general defense of the Fatherland" by Kentaro Kaneko and traditional nationalist Mitsuru Touyama, who had participated in the drafting of the Imperial Constitution. Originally praying for permanent world peace,
This temple is the spiritual relic of the Matsubagayatsu hermitage of the great priest Nichiren. A rocky cavern called “Gohokutsu” or “Nichiren Iwaya,” which became the base of the hermitage, is located across the main hall. In this Gohokutsu, he wrote the petition, Rissho Ankoku Ron , to be presented to former
Enshrined in the main temple building is the principal object of worship, the statue of the seated Amida Nyorai, and the statue of Jizo Bosatsu, said to have been made by the master Buddhist statue maker of the Nanbokucho period (A.D.14th), Takuma Joko. This statue of Jizo Bosatsu was originally the
Ashikaga Takauji founded the temple at the site of his residence in 1336 and recognized it as the first-rank Shozan temple. After the death of Takauji, Ashikaga Motouji, governor of Kamakura, built the main hall furnished with a Shichido Garan temple structure to pray for the repose of his father Takauji.
This is the place where the great priest Nichiren first founded a herimitage called Matsubagayatsu Goshoan after he entered Kamakura from Awa(now southern Chiba preecture) to teach preaching. A lore handed down to date identifies somewhere around here as the locality of the Matsubagayatsu Persecution during which the hermitage was set